Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Expressing my feelings

O.k. so a few things have happened with my oldest daughter lately that have been bothering me and I am wondering if I am teaching my daughter all that I need so she is acting the way I hope that she will.
I teach primary and I was sitting in front of Ryleigh Jo's class and I heard a little girl say to her that she should not be wearing that dress, that it was really in modest and her mom thinks it is bad to wear something like that. The dress Ryleigh Jo had on was just fine, it was a cap sleeve, anyway, after that Ryleigh Jo came and sat by me and was really upset. It makes me sad to think that people are judging that way at such a young age. I try to teach Ryleigh to be nice and to mind her own business. I know that they are just kids, but it made me realize how much kids act like their parents, they are just saying what they hear in the home. because this little girls parents are always making comments and judging people and it really bothers me.
Then today I was watching her at dance practice and some other girls from the other class got finished early so they were watching them finish dancing. I was enjoying myself watching how silly she is and how much fun she was having, then these two girls started talking about her. They were saying that she should not be a dancer and she doesn't know what she was doing(This is her first year) it really made me sad, then they just kept going on and on about how she acts weird and she's a pet (i guess that meant teacher's pet) and just some really mean things and I just sat and listened as the tears trickled down my cheeks. I know they are just kids but it just makes me so sad. I know it is only going to get worse as my kids get older, and grow up. I don't know if my heart can handle three girls growing up. Anyway my biggest thing is that I just hope that I can teach my girls how to act nice to everyone, because I don't want anyone to hurt over things my kids may have said about them. And I know it happens and I am still working on it because kids are just so honest and they don't know how hurtful words can be. Why is parenting so difficult?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Annie, you are an AMAZING mom!! I think you are doing a GREAT job!!

I think it's VERY important to teach your kids not to talk about others & to be nice but, I also think it is just as important to teach them not to care what others think of them. That the Lords opinion is the only one that matters.

I think that when they are confident & have good self esteem, they won't care if people are judging them & therefore are less likely to judge others.

Although I still have a ways to go, I've noticed over the last few years as I have embraced the gospel & let go of worrying about what others think of me, my kids have done so too. I think you're absolutely right that kids do what they see their parents do.

Your kids are lucky to have you to look up to. You are a great example of not judging others & although I'm sure they (& you) will have some heartaches along the way, they will be just fine.

They're too cute not to be!! :)

Anonymous said...

P.S. Now if I could just listen to my own advice, I'd be set :)

Amy Jo said...

You are doing a great job withyour little family. I would be worried if it was my daughter making the mean comments. Just keep doing what you are doing!

Wild Rasmussen said...

I sounds like to me that you are doing great at teaching your kids to do the right things. Kid are so mean and say the meanest things some times. You just need to make sure that you are teach them not to care about what others think of them and to be them selfs. good luck with all those girls. BOY are so much easer they just don't care about anything and girls have to much drama. well good luck I sure you are dong great, and when kids hear that there parents judge they are going to do the same thing.
well take care!

Sarah said...

I am so sad that I haven't read your blog forever. You have some fun updates. This post is such a good perspective! I worry already about dressing Ella in "sleeveless" outfits, and she is just a baby!!! I can hardly handle the pain of one little girl. Three is going to be its own set of fun.